AARP TAX AIDES ARE BACK IN APRIL!
--On a very limited basis and with a much different system than in the past. This year’s procedure was designed and approved by AARP Tax Aides national organization, and although different, it will protect both the tax aides and YOU.
WHEN: Wednesdays, April 7, 14, 21, 28
HOW: By appointment only.
1. Between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, call 502-353-0189 and set up an appointment.
2. Once you have confirmed an appointment with AARP Tax Aides, go to Paul Sawyier Public Library and pick up a packet of information. Your packet will be available at the library on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday the week of your appointment. You will not be able to pick up your packet until the week of your first appointment.
3. Fill out the necessary papers as instructed in the packet.
4. Come to Capital City Activity Center, 202 Medical Heights Dr., at your appointed time. Pull around to the back of the building as close to the Pool Room door as possible.
5. Call the number provided in the packet. The tax aides will come to your car to get your materials, take them back in the building, scan them and return them to you in your car.
6. Then you go home. Be sure you keep the number they will provide and answer your phone when the tax aides call you to get more information and ask any questions they and/or you might have.
7. The tax aides will provide you with an appointment time a week from your first appointment so that you may come back to Capital City Activity Center and sign your papers.
8. The procedure for the second visit will be the same: call the number provided and the tax aide will bring your return to you for signature.
OPTION 2: SELF-PREPARATION FILING OPTION
Because of the process they are required to use this season, AARP Foundation Tax Aide is not able to prepare as many tax returns as they have in the past. They are truly sorry to not be able to personally help everyone, but there is an alternative for those who have a laptop or tablet and have access to the Internet. Using the self-assistance option gives you access to assistance from Tax Aide IRS certified counselors who can answer your questions as you go through the return preparation process.
If you believe you are capable of preparing your own return with assistance, please consider this self-preparation option. If you expect to receive a refund, preparing your own return with certified assistance allows you to receive that refund sooner. By doing your own return, you will allow Tax Aides to help more people who do not have this capability.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO USE THE SELF-PREPARATION OPTION, please visit www.aarpfoundation.org/taxaide, select "Prepare my own taxes on line," then click on "Request Help" button.